Firefighters have issued a reminder to people not to overload plug sockets after a fire at a flat on Zion Place in Thornton Heath.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Norbury and Croydon fire stations attended the incident at 8:25am on December 22, and had managed to get the fire under control within an hour.

The Brigade's fire investigators concluded that the fire was accidental and was caused by the overloading of multiple electrical extension leads.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "One of the most common causes of electrical fires is overloaded sockets.

"Some appliances use more power than others, so be mindful of not overloading your extension leads.

"Power-hungry appliances such as kettles, toasters and microwaves shouldn't be on the same extension.

"It's also important to fully unwind drum extensions leads.

"If you leave them coiled, they can overheat and cause a fire."

According to emergency service reports - most of a three-roomed flat on the ground floor was damaged by the blaze and Met Police rescued a man from the property before the Brigade arrived.

Another man was rescued by firefighters and both men were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews and taken to hospital.