Helicopter footage of the moment a moped carrying three teenagers collided with a marked police car, resulting in the death of a 16-year-old boy from Croydon, has been shown in court.

Tyereece Johnson died after being thrown from a moped which was being tracked by the National Police Air Service helicopter because it was believed to have been involved in an earlier attempted robbery.

The aerial footage shows the moped and its three hooded riders weaving a convoluted route from Clapham Common to Wimbledon in south London in the early hours of July 16 2017.

It then hits the rear passenger door of a marked police car which was travelling north in Trinity Road when the moped enters the junction at a crossroads from South Park Road.

Its riders are flung in different directions and lie unresponsive in the road, several metres from each other, as helicopter staff request an ambulance and officers on the ground check them.

The trio were being tracked by the helicopter which fed information on their location over the radio to cars on the ground, Tyereece's inquest heard.

Before the crash, the bike was seen travelling the wrong way through a one-way system and also entering the A3 against the traffic.

On at least two occasions, a female officer requests police cars to pull back.

She can be heard saying over the radio: "Can you try not to follow the vehicle too closely please?"

A report by the police watchdog, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), will be released at the inquest's close.

Earlier, Tyereece's mother paid tribute to her only child in a statement read by coroner Dr Shirley Radcliffe at Inner West London Coroner's Court.

Samantha Cohen quietly wiped away tears as her statement recalled how her son was a "brilliant" footballer and Chelsea fan, who was also scouted by the Royal Ballet.

Good at maths and spelling, he loved to read and was able to "instantly connect" with people he met.

He dreamt of becoming a famous footballer, seeing the vocation as a way of providing for his family, and wanted to get a tattoo reading "Family First" when he turned 18.

The teenager was also a "natural" babysitter for younger members of his extended family and "very protective" of his mother.

She said: "His family brought him so much joy, and I loved that this was the case."

The pair moved to Croydon from north London after she became concerned that he had "fallen into the wrong crowd".

She said: "He was wise beyond his years. I was proud that my son made time for other people, listened to their problems and shared advice."

She added: "It's difficult for Tyereece's family to equate the child we knew at home with who he could be in the world outside."

She temporarily left the courtroom when the helicopter footage of the incident was played, also opting not to be present for the reading of medical evidence.

The inquest heard that paramedics found the teenager, who had not been wearing a helmet, in the recovery position on the road near the "badly damaged" moped.

He had suffered head and leg wounds, appeared to have several fractures, his left leg was rotated at an angle and he had bruising to his jaw.

A post-mortem examination found that his death in hospital the following day was due to head and chest injuries.

The inquest is scheduled to last for eight days.