Staff and students at the university where a body was discovered in the search for the missing Daniel Williams from Sutton have expressed their sadness.

The 19-year-old, a second-year computer science undergraduate at the University of Reading, disappeared at midnight on January 31.

But just under a week into his disappearance a body was found in a lake at the Whiteknights Campus on the morning of February 5.

While formal identification is yet to take place, his family have been informed of the latest development.

Thames Valley Police are treating the death as unexplained but not suspicious.

FROM EARLIER: Daniel Williams: Body found in search for missing uni student from Sutton

Professor Robert van de Noort, Reading University’s acting vice-chancellor, said: “I was saddened to learn that a body was found on our Whiteknights campus by police officers searching for Daniel Williams.

“It is a very difficult time and support is being offered to students and staff.

“We have been in close contact with Thames Valley Police during their investigation of Daniel’s disappearance and we will continue to assist them in any way we can.

“I would like to express thanks on behalf of the whole university to the police, all those who helped with the search and the thousands of people who shared the appeal for information.

“Daniel and his family and friends are in our thoughts.”

Mr Williams was last seen on a night out at the Whiteknights Camus’ 3Sixty student union bar on January 31.

Police said they had deployed “significant resources” into the search, which included help from the Berkshire Lowland Search and Rescue team.

Superintendent Stan Gilmour, Local Policing Area Commander for Reading, said: “Tragically officers searching for Daniel have located a body. While the identity of the person who died is yet to be established, we have informed Daniel’s family and are providing support to them.

“Please could I make an appeal to respect the privacy of Daniel’s family at what must be a deeply difficult time for them.”

Friends of Mr Williams held a vigil for him on Monday (February 4).