A man who led police on a high speed chase before crashing outside the Civic Centre in Morden has been jailed.

Jay Fenton, 22 of Nesham House in Hackney was arrested following a pursuit on December 9.

The chase began after the BMW Fenton indicated right at the crossroads and jumped the lights, officers then followed the car for a number of minutes but it failed to stop.

PC Ed Stock, of the Roads Policing Unit said: “I was following the BMW for a number of miles, while it was overtaking members of the public and driving at 70 miles per hour in 30 mph zones, continuing to overtake vehicles throughout.

“My main focus was to ensure that no one was injured as a result of the driver’s lack of care for anyone but himself. Eventually the vehicle was driving on the wrong side of a dual carriageway and while doing this, it was damaged, with the rear tyre bursting.

"Even with this damage, it continued to overtake and undertake members of the public with only three working tyres before crashing into multiple parked vehicles and coming to a stop after crashing into a parked car."

The chase eventually came to a halt when Fenton crashed into a parked car in London Road.

When officers arrested Fenton for dangerous driving, they found approximately £3,700 in his underwear. The 22-year-old then disclosed there were two lock knives in the glove box.

Officers carried out a search of the vehicle and found the knives, and a police dog indicated there could be something in the holdall.

Police searched once again and found a large quantity of crack cocaine and heroine.

At a hearing in Guildford Crown Cour on January 11, Fenton was sentenced to three years and eight months in prison for the strong of offences.

“As you can see from the dash cam footage, Fenton was driving in excess of the speed limit through areas with a high amount of road users and pedestrians," PC Stock added.

"I almost lost sight of him at one moment because there was not enough space for me to get through traffic, it is so important for drivers to ensure that they let emergency services through when blue lights are displayed, and would ask that drivers stay calm when they hear our sirens, and pull over and stop in a safe place with enough room for emergency services to pass.”