A community has come together to mark the 30th anniversary of the Clapham train crash.

On December 12, 1988 three commuter trains collided just south of Clapham Junction. 35 people lost their lives and many more were injured.

To mark the anniversary, the Brigade and Network Rail held a memorial service for survivors, the families of victims and those who were affected by the disaster. It remains one of the worst incidents in the London Fire Brigades history.

Wreaths were laid at the site of the tragic crash.

Members of the community, councillors, MPs, the Fire Brigade, the Mayor of London and the Met Police Commissioner took part in a minutes silence and a wreath laying ceremony at the site of the crash. This was followed by a memorial service at St Mark's Church on Battersea Rise.

Wandsworth Labour leader Simon Hogg said: “Many local people still remember the terrible events of 30 years ago. I was just speaking to a man who was a student at Emmanuel School, which was right next to the crash.

"The children and teachers there helped to comfort survivors. I’m grateful that Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, and the Police and Fire Commissioners came today to pay their respects. My thoughts are with the families who lost loved ones in this tragedy.”

Cllr Piers McCausland said: “Today was an opportunity to reflect on what happened 30 years ago and remember the people who lost their lives on that tragic day. This terrible event left a scar on our borough, and I want to thank all the people involved in the rescue effort and tell the loved ones of those who died that our thoughts remain with them.”

What happened on December 12?

The wreckage was so tangled that first responders weren't sure how many trains were involved initially.

During the rush hour commute on the morning of December 12, three commuter trains carrying an estimated 1,300 passengers collided in Clapham. A crowded train hit the rear of another train, which was standing stationary just south of the railway station.

The impact on the stationary carriages shunted it to the right, where it struck a third oncoming train. The wreckage of the trains was so entangled that at first it wasn't clear how many trains were involved. First reports were of two trains, but it became clear there were actually three.

Firefighters from across London came to deal with the crash.

Fifteen fire engines attended the scene of the incident along with specialist rescue equipment and teams. Due to the size and weight of the trains, cranes were used as part of the rescue operation.

Fire Brigade Commissioner Dany Cotton was new to the Brigade when she was called to attend the crash. "I was 19 and just three months out of training school. We were on duty over Sunday night and were called to the scene on Monday morning," she said.

"Our first job was getting casualties out of the trains and into the ambulances. It was just before Christmas and there were a lot of Christmas cards strewn everywhere. People must have been writing their cards on the train. It was an incredibly sad scene."

Commissioner Cotton was three months into her career when she was called to the scene.

The number of casualties meant that eight ambulances and a surgical unit were needed. Those passengers with the most severe injuries had to be operated on at the scene.

The cause of this terrible accident was later found to be wiring issues in the signals, which gave an incorrect signal to one of the train drivers.

An independent inquiry was led by Anthony Hidden, QC for the Department for Transport. The inquiry led to a number of recommendations around signalling and staffing.

Birds eye view of the wreckage.