Gunshots were fired by two police officers during an operation in which a robbery suspect was gunned down.

The police watchdog has confirmed that two officers fired one shot each during the incident in Wimbledon on Monday morning.

A 23-year-old man was gunned down by officers from the Met's Flying Squad who swooped outside a Sainsbury's Local at 8.10am.

The Met referred the matter to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which said it spent much of Monday "overseeing the collection of forensic evidence".

The IOPC confirmed two police officers each fired their guns once and the raid was linked to a probe into "cash in transit van robberies".

RELATED: Man charged by police following Wimbledon shooting

The 23-year-old man who was shot remains in hospital, where he has been quizzed to by the IOPC.

He was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to rob, the Met said. Another 23-year-old man was also arrested at the scene.

Jonathan Green, IOPC regional director, said: "My thoughts go to all those affected by this incident, including witnesses who found themselves at the centre of an unfolding police incident while going about their normal daily routine.

"Our team of investigators were at the scene, the post incident procedure and at the hospital yesterday overseeing the collection of forensic evidence ensuring enquiries are carried out thoroughly and independently.

"The forensic search resumed today and we are grateful to the local community for their patience as this painstaking and vital work continues.

"We have met with the man and we will keep him informed as our investigation progresses."

RELATED: Man shot in Lacock Close, Wimbledon, during police operation

The IOPC said the shooting happened during a "pre-planned" police operation by the Met's Serious Crime Directorate.

A statement added: "So far a knife and a crowbar have been recovered from the scene and the forensic search of the area resumed today.

"We have verified that two Met Police firearms officers each discharged their weapon once.

"The man was taken to hospital, his injuries are not believed to be serious."

Abdirahman Mohomad Omar, 23, of Wandsworth, was due to appear before magistrates in Wimbledon today charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.