The "lenient" sentence of a Croydon man convicted of smashing a car window with a large "zombie" knife has been referred for review after a public outcry.

Joshua Gardner, 18, was filmed attacking a car in broad daylight on London Road, West Croydon, forcing the vehicle's driver to flee on foot.

He was given a two year suspended sentence on Tuesday (November 27) having been convicted of three charges.

The sentence has now been referred to the Attorney General for being "unduly lenient", which could lead to it being overturned.

Judge Anuja Dhir QC's sentence has been criticised by a number of prominent figures for failing to protect the public.

Mayor Sadiq Khan, speaking to LBC, said: "I've seen the video. I was scared watching it, so I could only imagine what the person inside the car must have felt with somebody branding a zombie knife and using it in a threatening way, banging it against the window.

"I don't understand how it's possible for somebody in these circumstances to receive a suspended sentence.

"This is a good example of a case where the judge doesn't realise the impact it has on the public."

Met Police Superintendent Roy Smith said : "My personal thoughts are that this sentence does not provide any form of deterrence.

"Nor does it lead frontline officers to feel that they are being fully supported by the rest of the judicial system."

The Attorney General's office can review sentences given by crown courts that are seen as inappropriate.

Once a member of the public makes a referral, the office has 28 days to review the sentence and make a decision.

The case may then be sent to the court of appeal if the sentence is deemed too lenient. The office has confirmed that one request was received in relation to the case.

The judge cited a number of mitigating factors when explaining the suspension of sentence, such as that Gardner had already spent six months in custody since his arrest in May and that he had a good chance of rehabilitation.

Gardner, of London Road, was also given a nine month curfew and was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.