Surrey County Council has been accused of “fundamental failings” over their handling of the Sunbury teenager who planted a bomb on the Parsons Green Tube last September.

18 year-old Ahmed Hassan left the train station before the bomb detonated, injuring 51 people, and was arrested the following morning in Dover.

He was found guilty of attempted murder and sentenced to life in prison, with a minimum term of 34 years.

A new report by Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee reports a “litany of errors” by the Home Office, the police and Surrey County Council which resulted in the “attack-planning passing unnoticed.”

According to the report, Hassan carried out the attack after assembling a bomb at his foster parents’ home in Sunbury while he was subject to the anti-radicalisation programme Prevent.

Despite revealing in an asylum interview that he had been taken by Daesh and “trained to kill”, Hassan was not investigated by MI5 before the bombing.

The teenager missed official appointments and showed signs of absconding from foster care while he was under the care of Surrey County Council Children’s Services, the reports revealed.

At the time Hassan launched his attack, a Channel panel was in the process of considering the closure of his case.

Committee chairman Dominic Grieve said: “Why did the Channel panel ignore his ongoing mental health issues and instances of going missing?

“The litany of errors that resulted in Hassan’s attack planning passing unnoticed, despite his being an active Channel case, highlight deep-rooted issues”

Surrey County Council spokesman said: “This was a difficult case in tough circumstances. We have a duty as a county council to provide support to unaccompanied asylum-seeking children who arrive in Surrey and we’re also expected to work with law enforcement agencies and others to help stop people being drawn into terrorism.

"Our work with other agencies in this case wasn’t as good as it should have been and we’re sorry for our part in that.

“We knew before the terrible incident at Parsons Green that we needed to make changes and had already begun to do so. Since then we have made further improvements and continue to focus on ensuring our work in this area is as good as it can be. Our thoughts remain with everyone affected.”