A man, 31, has been jailed for manslaughter after fatally kicking his victim in the chest in a street fight outside a bookmakers in Merton.

Joseph Otinkoran Ankrah, 31, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to manslaughter for the death of Aaron Springett and was sentenced to seven years’ imprisonment today (November 6).

At about 9:55pm on April 19, Ankrah left a bookmakers on London Road and began arguing with Mr Springett in the street, the Met Police said.

Police said the two men held and pulled each other by the collars before Ankrah slapped Mr Springett to the side of the face which caused him to fall to the ground.

A bystander then intervened by standing between the two men and tried to get them to leave in opposite directions.

Mr Springett stood back up and shouted at Ankrah, who marched over to him and pushed him in the chest, causing him to fall backwards.

Ankrah kicked his victim 'like a footballer' at least twice in the chest before he was dragged away by a bystander.

Mr Springett was kicked with such force that it ruptured his heart, and he walked away before collapsing a short distance away.

Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at 10.17pm on April 19, after finding the 32-year-old man collapsed on London Road in Morden.

Mr Springett was taken to a south London hospital in a critical condition and died from his injuries at 11.45pm on April 20.

The victim’s sister Lucy Rowe said in a statement: “I cannot put into words the impact of losing Aaron has truly had on myself and my family. Words mean nothing.

“On the evening of 20 April my whole world came crashing painfully down. My brother, my best friend and confidant was taken away as a result of a senseless act at the hands of another.

“My brother was a lovable, bubbly and friendly person. He always put others before himself. He was a friend to many, a devoted family member to us all. I will never be able to express in words the intense bond myself and Aaron shared from a very young age. “

A post-mortem examination gave cause of death as hypoxic brain injury, cardiorespiratory arrest, rupture of the heart and blunt force trauma to the chest.

A number of enquiries were carried out including reviewing the area's CCTV and speaking to witnesses which led to Ankrah being arrested on April 21.

He answered "no comment" to all questions put to him, apart from when he was shown a photo of the victim to which he replied: "I don't know him, no comment."

Detective Inspector Will White, who led the investigation, said: "Ankrah was unable to control his anger and he attacked Aaron. Ankrah kicked Aaron with such force that it caused his heart to rupture and resulted in Aaron losing his life.

"I'm pleased that Ankrah recognised the weight of the evidence against him and chose to admit that his reckless actions resulted in Aaron's death.

"I hope today's conviction gives Aaron's family some measure of comfort and closure in what has been an extremely distressing time for them."