A batch of children’s toys with sharp wires and choking hazards manufactured in China are to be destroyed, Surrey county council has said.

Surrey trading standards officers barred the products from entering the country at Heathrow Airport because they posed a safety risk to children.

In a batch of 150 spider web sets, spider toys had legs which broke off easily leaving a rubber body that a child could have choked on.

In another batch, 30 giant spider toys had wire legs which formed sharp points after coming away from their fur covering.

Paperwork suggested they were destined to be sold via Amazon Marketplace, the county council has said.

The products had no CE mark, which is required for many goods traded on the single market in the European Economic Area.

CE marking indicates conformity with health, environmental and safety standards for products sold in the European Economic Area.

Cllr Denise Turner-Stewart, cabinet member for community services, said: “Some manufacturers try to cash in on soaring demand for seasonal products with little regard for safety but our officers picked up problems before they could reach consumers.

“We’d urge shoppers to take steps such as checking for CE marks, looking out for misspelt words or typos on packaging, checking online reviews of traders and being on guard against prices which seem too good to be true.”

Anyone who has concerns about a product they have seen for sale or have already bought should contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.