A fire which damaged half a flat in Sutton has been deemed accidental and was caused by a discarded cigarette, according to investigators.

Around 25 firefighters and four fire engines were sent to the scene of the blaze in Welbeck Road shortly after 10.30am on October 1.

There were no reports of any injuries.

READ MORE: Welbeck Road: Sutton flat damaged as firefighters tackle blaze

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said investigators believe the fire was “accidental and due to the unsafe disposal of smoking materials”.

He added: “We would rather people didn’t smoke at all but if they do, vaping is a safer option.

"If you do choose to smoke cigarettes, it is absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

"If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”

The fire was put under control at 11.20am as crews from Croydon, Sutton, Wallington, and Wimbledon attended.

Now the London Fire Brigade has issued safety advice for smokers following the event.

People are advised to:

• Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted in every room you regularly use in your home including in the hallways.

• Never smoke in bed.

• Always ensure you stub out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully.

• Keep matches and lighters out of children's reach.

• Never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended.

• Empty ashtrays carefully, ensuring all smoking materials are stubbed out and cold.

• If you must smoke, do it outdoors.