An overheating lightbulb in a cupboard caused last week's fire at Chaucer House, the London Fire Brigade has found.

The lightbulb inside a cupboard came in contact with flammable materials, leading to the fire which damaged several maisonette rooms.

Firefighters were called to the 18-storey building in Chaucer Gardens at 10.05am on Friday, July 20.

The London Fire Brigade and Sutton Council said no injuries had been reported and the fire was contained to one flat.

Half of a six-room maisonettes on the 10th and 11th floor were damaged, according to the London Fire Brigade.

Some of the properties suffered from water damage.

Council leader Cllr Ruth Dombey said: “The fire was contained to one flat and did not spread. The sprinkler system worked very effectively to contain the fire.

“We are hoping that everyone will be back into their properties later but are preparing temporary accommodation and general assistance for a small number of residents.”

SEE MORE: As it happened: Firefighters called to blaze at Chaucer House

Since the fire there has been a continuous presence of Sutton Housing Partnership on the site.

SHP staff are working with the fire brigade and fire safety experts to assess the damage and ‘take every step necessary to get residents back home safely’.

Around 20 people left the building before the arrival of the fire brigade and a further 40 were led out of the building by firefighters.

Some residents reported that they did not hear a fire alarm and were only alerted by the sounds of fire engines outside. Aaron, a resident at Chaucer House said: “I was in my flat and heard noises outside.

“I looked out my window and saw fire engines so went outside the building.

“I think the fire was on the 6th or 7th floor, I didn’t hear any alarms go off, I was only alerted by the sound of fire engines.”

MP Paul Scully went down to Chaucer House during the emergency response, where he told Sutton Guardian: “It’s always scary when this sort of stuff happens, especially with a building like this in the post-Grenfell atmosphere. The cladding wasn’t an issue so that’s an important thing.

“Since Grenfell I’ve been concentrating on Chaucer and Balaam House, the two clad local authority housing blocks, to make sure their residents have a sense of safety and assurance."

Fire crews from Sutton, Mitcham, Wallington, Wimbledon, Croydon and surrounding fire station attended the scene.

Emmanuel Olukotun, Housing Manager for Chaucer House, will be based at Milton House from 9am to 5pm until Friday to receive any enquiries from residents.

The building's regular caretaking team will be available from 6am to 4pm, with additional caretaking cover from 4pm to 10pm and fire safety patrols from 10pm to 6am continuing throughout the week.

Sutton Housing Partnership have confirmed that everyone has now been moved back into their home, apart from the property where the fire started. 

The fire brigade have confirmed that the fire detection and suppression systems at Chaucer House worked as they are designed to do on Friday. The sprinkler system worked effectively and helped ensure the fire did not spread and was extinguished quickly.