A car dealership in West Wickham ensured an elderly couple had a magical Christmas this year after their car was stolen.

Michael and Linda Gibbs, both 73-year-old cancer sufferers, relied on their Austin Metro to get to hospital.

Police eventually found the 29-year-old car but it had to be crushed because of the damage.

Officers in Croydon were inspired to set up a JustGiving page to help the devastated Old Coulsdon couple.

They approached Onodi Car Sales dealership, based in West Wickham, to enquire about a particular car they wanted to buy with the raised money.

However, James Onodi, who runs the business with his dad Tony, went the extra mile for Mr and Mrs Gibbs.

He told us: "I lost my grandad to cancer last year. When the police told me that the couple had cancer I decided I would give them a car for free.

"I told my dad the scenario and he said sod it and to give them the car because it is the right thing to do."

James went to an auction to buy a newer car with less mileage than the one the police originally enquired about.

Mr and Mrs Gibbs were presented with the 2004 Vauxhall Corsa on Christmas Day.

"You've given us our life and our freedom back," Mrs Gibbs said. 

"I am overwhelmed by the support and generosity you have given us. When Helen called to ask if we'd be in on Christmas morning, I thought you were going to give us a little hamper.

"I had no idea it would be a car. Now I need to think about what I'll call her."

Her husband added: "I'm just so overwhelmed, I don't know what to say. I've heard of wonderful things happening to people and we try and do our bit for charity, but I never thought this would happen for us."

Bromley Windscreens fitted the car with a new windscreen, Alpha Detailing fully valeted the car and Euro Car Parts worked on specific parts of the car.

All companies did this free of charge once James explained the situation.

"It would not have been possible without them," he said.

Tony Onodi, dad of James, added: "Everyone pulled together which was really nice. There was no begging and everyone all said let's do it straight away."

Mr and Mrs Gibbs were also given a cheque of £2,300 from the Croydon police for insurance costs.