"Ideal conditions for food poisoning bacteria to grow" - that's how one Croydon fish and chips shop was described when it received a zero in its latest food hygiene inspection.

The Codfather on 206 London Road, Croydon, was given the lowest possible rating when it was last inspected in March.

Inspectors from Croydon Council, who carry out the checks on behalf of the Food Standards Agency (FSA) look at how hygienically food is handled, the condition and cleanliness of the building and how they management ensures food is safe and standards are maintained.

These are the 39 restaurants and takeaways in Thornton Heath with food hygiene ratings of one out of five

Each area is given a rating between zero - meaning urgent improvement necessary - and five - meaning very good.

The establishment is then given an overall rating. The fish and chips shops failed all three of the categories assessed, with its management of food safety requiring "urgent improvement."

In a detailed report into why the store was given the zero rating, the inspector said: "There was no soap or hygienic hand drying facilities - for example paper towels - at the toilet wash hand basin.

"Raw food, i.e. sausages were stored next to cooked/ready to eat foods, i.e. lettuce in the refrigerator. This may result in cross contamination.

"Chicken was left to cool in the rotisserie oven. This slows down the cooling process and presents ideal conditions for food poisoning bacteria to grow."

These are the 33 restaurants and takeaways with a CR0 postcode in Croydon with food hygiene ratings of one out of five

The inspector also noted how The Codfather failed to properly train its staff in proper food safety management procedure despite being advised of its shortcomings previously.

"During the inspection, little evidence was available that critical points had been identified, or control and monitoring procedures introduced," the inspector said.

"It was apparent during my inspection that the level of food hygiene awareness amongst your staff was inadequate."

The inspector also noted several holes around the store which could be used as pest entry points, as well as dirty tiles, sinks and steps.