Detectives investigating the fatal stabbing of a teenager on a South Croydon estate are yet to determine his killers’ motives seven days after he was murdered.

Andre Aderemi, 19, was dropped at a friend’s house in the Monk’s Hill estate by his mum, Yemi Hughes, at 7.30pm on Tuesday night.

Just 10 minutes later he was found bleeding to death and crying out for his mum in Heather Way after being repeatedly stabbed.

Ms Hughes this evening returned to the street where her son was killed exactly a week after the fatal stabbing.

Detectives investigating his murder held an appeal in the estate this afternoon as they urge witnesses to come forward.

They revealed that Mr Aderemi was set upon by a group of youths almost immediately after he was seen standing outside the Food and Wine shop on Freelands Avenue.

Several knives have been recovered around the estate but police remained tight-tipped on whether they were the weapons that ended Mr Aderemi’s life.

Speaking at the scene today, Detective Inspector Will Reynolds said officers had been “unable to identify a driving motive” for the stabbing.

He added: “We know that the witnesses have described knives, primarily. In some cases they have described a large knife and in others it has been differing sizes.

“We have thoroughly searched the estate and also the route Andre was chased along.

“We have recovered some knives but we can’t say for sure whether they were involved in the incident itself.

“We are still working on a motive, we are unsure at the moment but we are keeping an open mind about this.

“Bearing in mind we are only seven days into this and there is a lot of information to go through, we haven’t really been able to identify a driving motive as yet.

“We are not actively seeking anyone we know has been involved that we haven’t found yet.

“But there is a long way to go yet and we will be down here on the estate for a long time.”

After Mr Adermi was set upon a chase ensued that ended in Heather Way, where he was found bleeding on the ground.

But it is not yet clear where he was when he was repeatedly stabbed.

He was taken to hospital but later died despite desperate efforts from members of the public to save him.

Det Ins Reynolds said: “We know he turned up here around 7.40pm, he had been dropped off here and he was due to meet some friends.

“He was stood outside the food and wine shop on his own and a white vehicle pulled up opposite and three guys got out of it and they chased him and he tried to get away.

“He has run in front of houses along the block [on Freelands Avenue] to get away from the guys, he has gone in a circle around the back of those houses, he’s come across Freelands Avenue, turned left down Tedder Road and ended up in Heather Way.

“He was punched and kicked to the ground and that is where he was treated but we are not quite sure at the moment where he sustained the injuries he did which were a number of stab wounds.

“It is not 100 per cent clear where he was stabbed.”

Mr Aderemi, a former John Ruskin College and Oasis Academy Shirley Park pupil, had previously lived on the estate but had moved to Chatham in Kent.

During an emotional church service the day after the teenager’s death Ms Hughes revealed she had moved the family away from the estate to “get him out of this environment”.

His death prompted an outpouring of grief in Monks Hill, where family, friends and residents have left dozens of bunches of flowers and emotional messages in tribute to the aspiring rapper, who performed under the name Dee Rose.

Detectives will continue to patrol the area while the family faces a “long road” ahead for justice.

Det Ins Reynolds added: “We have been very reassured by the help we have been given; people have come forward.

“We haven’t met any real resistance on the estate or reluctance to talk to us.

“Obviously mum is totally devastated, Andre had two younger brothers who are equally upset. It is a very difficult time for them.

“We want to give her peace of mind and closure on this as soon as we possibly can and the first stage is to identify those who are responsible, arrest them and charge them and hopefully now we can work towards convicting them in court at a later date.

“It is a long road for her and we will be with her every step of the way.”

Speaking for the first time since the murder today, Ms Hughes begged for witnesses to come forward.

She said: “Nobody should die the way that he did and I am devastated not only by the loss of Andre but also by the manner in which he died.

“Our lives will never be the same again so please if you know anything, no matter how small you think it is, can you pass it onto police."

Three 19-year-olds - Jamall Longergan, of Woodcroft Road, Thornton Heath, Fabio Cela, of Fryston Avenue, Shirley, and Rodney Mukasa, of Green View Avenue, Monks Orchard - appeared at the Old Bailey this morning accused of stabbing the aspiring rapper to death in the Monks Hill estate on Tuesday.

Last night 18-year-old Ali Zahawy, of Bramble Close, Shirley, became the fourth teenager to be charged with the murder of Mr Aderemi.

He appeared before Croydon magistrates today.

A provisional trial date for the four accused of the murder has been set for February 13.