Two men have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a teenager was stabbed to death in South Croydon.

Police and paramedics were called to reports of an injured man in Heather Way on the Monks Hill estate at about 7.40pm.

They found the victim, believed to be aged 19, suffering knife wounds.

The teenager, named by friends as Andre Aderemi, was taken to hospital, where he later died.

RELATED: Tributes pour in for teenager knifed to death South Croydon

A neighbour this morning described desperate attempts to save the life of the teen, who he recognised as a "good kid" he had often seen around the estate.

Family and friends could be seen laying flowers at the spot where he fell this morning while being comforted by a vicar.

Your Local Guardian:

Flowers left at the scene this morning

Two men, both aged 19, have been arrested on suspicion of murder and remained in custody at a south London police station this morning, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

His next of kin have been informed but he has not yet been identified and a post-morterm examination has yet to be carried out.

Heather Way remained cordoned off by police today.

Elsom Argela, 27, was one of the first to reach the victim as he lay dying on the street.

He said: "A friend came upstairs and said someone needs help outside. I looked out the window and saw the blood and went out to help.

"My wife threw a towel and blanket down and I put pressure on the wound to try and stop the bleeding.

"He was really bad, he was talking very slowly and kept saying 'water, water'.

"He said to me, 'I'm cold', but I put my hand on his head and he was hot.

"I just wanted to help him"

Mr Argela, who lives in Tedder Road, said the teenager appeared to have been stabbed in the back and the abdomen, adding: "There were big cuts in his back and there was a cut on his head."

Neighbour Carol Sayer, 29, said she knew from the extent of the victim's injuries that he was going to die.

She said: "I heard him scream. I was watering my garden and I thought they were hitting him. I'm disabled, so my neighbour jumped the wall and I screamed and she shouted at them and they ran off.

"She said to me he was in a bad way and obviously we thought he had been beaten, so I said we should put pressure on the wound, only to find he had been stabbed.

"I was talking to him, he told me he was 19, but I thought he was much younger - he was only a little boy, he was so tiny and skinny.

"I knew he was going to die, because once they start losing blood that's it.

"I said we just needed to keep talking to him because obviously he was frightened and then later I heard his mum come screaming, running along the road."

The victim was wearing a silver jacket that was torn where he had been stabbed, Mr Argela said.

Mr Argela heard a voice behind him calling out for "D" as he battled to save the teenager for more than 10 minutes before paramedics arrived.

He recognised the victim as a "good kid" he often saw around Monks Hill.

He added: "When I see him, he always says hello."

A video shot from Mr Argela's balcony shows parademics' frantic attempts to save the young man's life, surrounded by shocked bystanders.

As the victim's family arrived in Heather Way this morning, a woman approached the teen's mother and revealed she had held his hand as he lay dying on the street.

Your Local Guardian:

A police cordon is still in place in Heather Way

The tearful pair embraced, as residents from the estate gathered to pay their respects.

Reverend Peter Wyatt, who accompanied the family to the scene, said: "It is a huge shock to the community, it is considered a very quiet area with no problems like this.

"There are a lot of people that cant believe this happened on their doorstep."

Just after midday, friends and family lit two candles in Heather Way in memory of the young man, as forensic officers began the task of gathering evidence for the murder investigation.

Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said she had gone outside to see what was happening after hearing noise last night.

She added: "I just saw people working on [the victim] before the ambulance arrived.

"When they got here they put him in the ambulance then took him out and held blankets around him before they put him back in."

A friend told her the attack had been carried out with a machete, she said.

Another neighbour wrote on Twitter about an hour after the stabbing: "Omg! A young lad has been stabbed across the road and taken in an air ambulance. Roads all cordoned off. Hope he's ok."

Another said: "Another tragic waste."

A memorial service for the murdered teenager, open to all, will be held at 4pm this afternoon at St Francis Church in Tedder Road.

Did you know the victim? Pay tribute by calling the newsdesk on 020 8722 6388 or emailing