Dozens of sleeping guests were evacuated in the middle of the night after a pair of trousers caught fire in a hotel room.

Firefighters from Norbury were sent to Croydon Court Hotel in London Road, Thornton Heath, at about 2am today to reports of a fire on the first floor.

They arrived to find a small fire, thought to have been caused by an incense stick setting alight to a pile of clothes, in one of the rooms.

A firefighter from the station said all guests at the hotel had to be evacuated while crews tackled the flames.

The fire was under control "within five or ten minutes", the firefighter added. There were no reported injuries.

Did you see what happened? Call the newsdesk on 020 8722 6388 or email