Security guards at Croydon College rushed to try to save a man's life after he was hit by a bus in Croydon town centre.

The pedestrian, believed to be in his twenties, was knocked down by in George Street, near East Croydon station, at about 10.20am.

It is understood he may have suffered life-changing head and back injuries after being struck by a 466 bus to Addington Village.

His condition is not thought to be life-threatening.

One witness, who did not want to be named, said: "We came out of Suffolk House and he was just lying in the road, covers over him.

"His eyes were wide open and he wasn't moving. He looked about 25."

A woman, who gave her name only as Sheila said: "They were operating on them on the road. That's when I knew it was serious. You see it happen so often around here, when people are crossing the road."

Witnesses said the injured man, thought to have been called Chris, had been looking at his phone as he crossed the road.

Eddie McCourt, 62, security manager at Croydon College, and colleague Donna Piercey, rushed to provide first-aid to the injured man before paramedics arrived.

He said: "One of my officers put a call out on the radio that someone had been run down by a bus.

"We grabbed our first-aid kits and ran over.

"All we were focused on was keeping him alive.

"The young guy had been really battered and had a lot of blood coming from his head.

"We secured his neck and his back and kept him comfortable and kept talking to him until the ambulances and the air ambulance arrived.

"He was unconscious the whole time but was just coming around as the ambulance got there."

Croydon College said it was "extremely proud" of the efforts of its staff.

Mr McCourt, who lives in Epsom and has worked for the college for 11 years, said: "We are a community college and we would do the same for anyone, whether or not they are students."

He added: "The poor bus driver, he was in shock too."

"It has happened lots of times over the years here. People need to be warned about headphones and mobile phone."

London Ambulance Service and London's air ambulance both responded to the collision.

The air ambulance landed in College Green but the injured man was taken to St George's Hospital in Tooting by road.

Paramedics were accompanied by a doctor from the air ambulance.

Part of George Street was cordoned off by police for about three hours.

Bus routes 64, 119, 194, 197, 250, 367, 410 and 466 were being diverted during the closure.

Croydon Council cancelled a planned launch of a new cycle hire hub, opposite East Croydon station, after news of the collision broke.

Did you see what happened? Call the newsdesk on 020 8722 6351 or email