Firefighters rescued a woman after her hand became trapped under an oven.

The 22-year-old spent 45 minutes with her finger wedged in a drawer beneath the cooker as her midnight snack turned sour.

Fire crews used washing-up liquid as a lubricant to free the woman's stricken digits after being called to her house in Riddlesdown Road, Purley, by her sister at 1am today. 

Three fire engines and an ambulance crew attended.

Dean Barnes, crew manager, said: "As she was trying to pull something out she got trapped. It was hurting her. 

"We just had to lube her finger with washing-up liquid and then pull a few pieces out of the drawer.

"There was no long-lasting damage but she had a bit of a sore finger."

He added: "It was very odd."