The shock death of a 66-year-old husband awaiting trial after being accused of murdering his wife with knives and a hammer makes him the latest inmate to die in Wandsworth Prison.

Raymond Mills, was wheeled out of his house by paramedics with blood on his head after his wife Linda Mills was found dead at their New Malden home on February 9.

Mr Mills, who was a psychiatric patient, was charged with murder and taken into custody. He died in Wandsworth on June 8.

From Feb 9: Murder arrest after police find woman dead inside house on edge of New Malden and Motspur Park

From Feb 10: UPDATE: Injured husband Raymond Mills arrested on suspicion of murder over wife Linda's death

From May 20: Urgent action should be taken as "murder suspect house falling into disrepair" says neighbour

His case never came to trial after at least three scheduled court hearings were delayed because psychiatric reports were not ready.

He had most recently appeared at the Old Bailey on February 19, and was first due to enter a guilty or not guilty plea at Isleworth Crown Court on May 1.

Mr Mills, who had spoken publicly in the past about his mental health problems after being abused as a child, had been in custody for nearly four months when he died.

Your Local Guardian:

Raymond Mills spoke to the Wimbledon Guardian in 2008, above.

Isleworth Crown Court was yesterday unaware of his death and had listed him to appear in court this afternoon.

It was only after this website pressed a Met police spokesman to contact an officer in the case that it emerged he had died in prison.

The news comes four days after coroner Dr Fiona Wilcox called for a formal investigation into the alarming number of deaths at Wandsworth Prison.

Friday: Suicide inquest of rapist who tried to murder pensioner halted as coroner calls for probe into 10 other prison deaths

During a pre-inquest hearing into the suicides of two men who shared the same cell and hung themselves months apart, she said the inquest could not go on because of various "themes and common issues" of deaths at the UK’s largest prison.

Eleven men died at the category B prison last year - which she said was three times more than would be expected at a prison. It is not clear whether she knew about Mr Mills and whether his death was included in that figure.

The Ministry of Justice has yet to comment on how Mr Mills died in prison.

A neighbour in Stanley Avenue, where the pair lived, and who did not want to be named said: “The news about Raymond Mills' death really shocked me.

"I am sure our community would have wanted to learn the outcome of his trial and see justice done on the death of Linda Mills – all this seems to hang in the air now and may remain a mystery forever, which also means that there is no proper closure to this awful crime.”

Mr Mills was described by the neighbour as a reclusive man who was quick to call the council if anyone dared park within an inch of his driveway. 

In 2008, he featured in the Wimbledon Guardian to complain about mental health treatment he was receiving.

He said he had been left waiting for group therapy for 14 years because he was told by health care bosses that his treatment in Kingston could not be continued because he lived 10 feet from the borough's boundary with Merton.

He said at the time: "I feel really betrayed about this. I suffered abuse issues when I was younger, but if I had received group therapy, I'm certain I would have been able to talk about it sooner.

"Instead I was told not to worry about my problems and suppress them. I picked my life back up again and got married, but eventually these issues reappeared.

"It was only by chance I was able to talk about some of my problems with my local GP in August 2003."

A spokeswoman for South West London and St. George’s Mental Health NHS Trust said:

“We extend our deepest sympathies to the friends and family of Mr Mills at this distressing time.

“Several years ago Mr Mills complained to the Trust about his problems accessing our services in the past.

"This was addressed through the Trust complaints procedure and Mr Mills was able to access the services he required in 2008.

“We now have a dedicated Patient Advice and Liaison Service support line for patients which will help direct people to the most suitable service for them.

“We are unable to comment any further due to the inquest that is currently underway.”

An inquest into his death has been opened at Westminster Coroners’ Court. The case is due to be reviewed by a coroner on December 7.

PALS can be contacted on 020 3513 6150 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday or outside of office hours on 0800 028 8000.