Scotland Yard has been accused of covering up possible murder links to the Elm Guest House in Barnes.

Eight-year-old Vishal Mehrotra was abducted as he walked home to Putney in July 1981, shortly after watching the Prince of Wales and Princess Diana's wedding procession.

Vishal was last seen less than a mile from the guest house, which is now at the centre of the Operation Fernbridge investigation.

His father, Vishambar, a retired magistrate, told the the Telegraph he recorded a telephone call in which a male prostitute said his son may have been taken to the guest house in Rocks Lane, Barnes.

Speaking to the Telegraph, he said: "He [the man] said there were very highly placed people there. He talked about judges and politicians who were abusing little boys."

Mr Mehrotra said he took the recording to the police at the time of his son's disappearance but claimed they refused to investigate, which Mr Mehrotra believes was because of a "huge cover up".

He added: "At that time I trusted the police. But when nothing happened, I became confused and concerned.

"Now it is clear to me that there has been a huge cover-up. There is no doubt in my mind."

Part of Vishal's skeleton was found in woodland in West Sussex in February 1982 and a coroner said "foul play" was likely to have contributed to his death.

Mr Mehrotra, now 69, claims police had hardly contacted him in the intervening years, despite allegations three boys were murdered around the time Vishal disappeared.

He said: "This guest house was right next to where Vishal disappeared. There were predatory people there who were taking young boys and abusing them.

"It seems to me that it all adds up, so I can’t understand why the police have again failed to get in contact with me.

"I think the revelations of Savile and others in recent months have opened up a Pandora’s box. Hopefully everything will all come out soon."

Last week, the Metropolitan Police said it was investigating possible murders linked to the Barnes guest house.

A new inquiry began after an alleged victim of the guest house claimed he saw three boys murdered, including one allegedly strangled by a Conservative MP during a sex game.