Confusion reigned during a visit by Boris Johnson to a new multi-million pound helipad, after the Mayor of London reportedly became stuck on St George’s Hospital roof.

While Mr Johnson, who was attending the official launch of the hospital's helipad, had to wait on the roof of the Tooting hospital for 20 minutes MPs Stephen Hammond and Jane Ellison, along with the print media, had been waiting more than an hour to get up to the rooftop.

MP Jane Ellison got to go up onto the helipad once Mr Johnson had got down, praised the helipad as the ‘last piece in the jigsaw’ for the hospital becoming a major trauma centre.

She said: “I don’t know what happened – various things they said happened. We got to go up in the end. We certainly were waiting at the bottom for a long time but I don’t know what issues there were.”

It has been reported staff members were sending messages to each other claiming the problem was with a lift.

Photographer Mustapha Ousellam, who was also left waiting inside the hospital, said a member of staff told the group the lift had become stuck.

However, a spokeswoman for St George’s NHS Trust denied there had been any problems.

She said: “We are sorry if some people were unable to attend this part of the event. However, tours to the helipad were offered later on.

“Boris’ trip to St George’s Hospital went completely to plan. He had a great visit, met staff in the emergency department and then went onto the helipad where he met members of air ambulance crews and also Harvey Tagorti – the first paediatric patient to be brought in via the helipad.”

Mr Johnson’s office said he was due to be on the helipad for the time that he was and his visit went as planned.

A spokeswoman said: “The lift was never even an issue for us in terms of running the visit. It went entirely as it was supposed to.

“The mayor was never stuck on the roof. Obviously it’s not for me to talk about the operation or issues you raised there.

“We were due to be up there for 20 minutes and that’s how long we were up there for.”

The mayor arrived at the hospital at 10.30am and left at about 11.45am.

This morning we reported the amazing story of eight-year-old Harvey Tagorti who was the first child to ever be flown into St George’s Hospital after a wooden swing structure collapsed and hit him on the head.