A teenager was shot with a Taser by police after been wrongly accused of carrying a gun.

Sean Lawless, 19, of Rutherwick Rise, Coulsdon, claims officers handcuffed him and pinned him to the ground in Brighton Road, Purley, before firing the electroshock weapon into his back.

He was arrested on September 17 on suspicion of making threats to kill but formally released without charge two days later.

Firearms officers used the Taser because they believed he was carrying a gun.

Mr Lawless, who suffered cuts and bruises during the arrest, suspects he was set up and still feels wary about going out.

He initially decided not to lodge a complaint but is now considering doing so.

He said: "It was a set-up. Someone made a false allegation. Someone told me to meet them in Purley and when I did the police came and told me to get on the floor.

"The officer told me to get on the floor and as I went down he dragged me further down.

"He told me to put my hands to the side and he hit me with a gun twice on the side, on my back in my ribs. He kicked me once.

"Then they started shouting the word ‘taser’. I was already in cuffs when they tasered me. The police officer must have had a bad day. It hurt quite a lot. I’ve still got the marks now."

He added: "I was going to complain but I thought there was no point because you are not going to win. I’m angry about it. Ever since, when I hear sirens I feel uncomfortable.

"I was supposed to be enrolling at college but after it happened I didn’t really go out much and by the time I’d regained my confidence all the colleges had stopped enrolling and it was too late."

Your Local Guardian:

Injuries to Sean Lawless's back following his arrest

A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed a taser had been used on Mr Lawless, but would not comment on allegations he was handcuffed at the time. However, it is understood officers dispute the claim.

The spokesman said: "At approximately 3pm on Tuesday, September 17 firearms officers attended Brighton Road, Purley.

"A 19-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of making threats to kill.

"Detectives from Croydon CID investigated, and the 19-year-old was eventually released without charge. We can confirm that the 19-year-old man was tasered shortly prior to arrest."