LONDON BOROUGH OF SUTTON ROAD TRAFFIC REGULATION ACT 1984Notice ID: SUT2212774
London Borough of Sutton Public Notices
LONDON BOROUGH OF SUTTON ROAD TRAFFIC REGULATION ACT 1984
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Council of the London Borough of Sutton made the following Order on 27 September 2021 under section 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, as amended: The Sutton (Traffic Restriction) (Pedestrian and Cycle Zones) (No. 1) Traffic Order 2021.
2. The principal objective of the Order is to improve the safety of children going to and from school by reducing the volume of traffic using roads outside schools. The scheme promotes active and sustainable travel and produces a safer and calmer environment for the benefit of all residents and school visitors.
3. The general effect of the Order would be to introduce a new 'pedestrian and cycle zone' in the vicinity of each of the schools listed in column (1) of the Schedule to this Notice, comprising the streets or parts of streets listed in column (2) of that Schedule. The pedestrian and cycle zones would operate at the times listed in column (3) of the Schedule to this Notice.
4. All motor vehicles except permit holders would be prohibited from entering the pedestrian and cycle zones during their hours of operation. Permits allowing vehicles to enter a pedestrian and cycle zone would be available to residents and those caring for residents, of premises located within or only accessible from the pedestrian and cycle zones, by application to the Council.
Residents would be limited to having three such permits at any one time per household, and a maximum of two permits for use by their carers. Further exemptions would apply to vehicles of those dropping off or picking up students with special educational needs or who are disabled (the details of such vehicles being registered with the school) and to emergency service vehicles, school buses and certain other service and utility vehicles. Any vehicle that is already within the pedestrian and cycle zone prior to its commencement of operation would be permitted to leave. NOTE: The proposals advertised on 8 July 2021 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3840349 for:-
- All Saints Carshalton Church of England Primary School - the start point of the pedestrian and cycle zone in Rotherfield Road has been revised and incorporated into the making of the Order
- Carshalton Boys Sports College in Winchcombe Road - has been withdrawn
- Robin Hood Junior School in Greenford Road, between Thorncrofl Road and St. Nicholas Way and Thorncroft Road, south-east of the north-western kerb-line of Greenford Road - the operational times have been revised and incorporated into the making of the Order
- St Philomena's Catholic High School for Girls and St. Mary's Catholic Junior School - the start point of the pedestrian and cycle zone in Alma Road has been revised and incorporated into the making of the Order.
5. Copies of the Order, which will come into force on 1 November 2021 and the Council's Statement of Reasons for making the Order may be inspected at the Council's Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1EA between 9am and 5pm on Monday to Friday.
6. If any person wishes to question the validity of the Order or of any of its provisions on the grounds that it is not within the powers conferred by the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, or that any requirement of the said Act of 1984 or of any instrument made under the said Act of 1984 has not been complied with, that person may, within 6 weeks from the date on which the Order were made, apply for the purpose to the High Court.
Group Manager, Highways and Transport
Dated: 30th September 2021
PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE PDF BELOW TO VIEW THE SCHEDULE