Notice of Proposals to consider a change in governance referendum -Pursuant to section 9MA of the Local Government Act 2000Notice ID: SUT2122375
The London Borough of Croydon
Notice of Proposals to consider a change in governance referendum -Pursuant to section 9MA of the Local Government Act 2000
1. Following a requisition by Council Members there will be an Extraordinary Council Meeting (ECM) on Monday 8th February 2021 at 6.30pm.
2. The ECM will consider proposals to hold a referendum of local electors on Thursday 7th October 2021 or on any revised date if it is to combine the poll with another election to be held within 28 days of this date. The referendum is to determine the future governance model of the Council.
3. The Council currently operates with an Executive Leader and Cabinet model and the ECM will determine whether local electors should be given a choice at a referendum to consider the current model or that of a Directly Elected Mayor and Cabinet.
4. Details of the proposals to consider a change in governance, with a timetable as to the implementation of any change can be seen within the report that is to be considered at the ECM.
5. The report can be accessed from the Council's website or by clicking on this link. Should members of the public wish to attend the Council Offices to inspect the proposals they can do so by visiting the Clock Tower reception, Katharine Street, Croydon, CR9 1ET between the hours of 9am to 5pm.
6. It should be noted that a further Notice will be published in due course setting out the potential constitutional changes in the governance arrangements for the Council as to the option for a directly elected mayor. This Notice will be published no less than 56 days before the referendum is due to be held.
Dated: 4th February 2021