Editor Andrew Parkes has a number of thoughts every week, here are just five of them.
1. You cannot even give to charity without being accused of political incorrectness these days. I am reliably informed anyone growing a ’tache next month and donating to “Movember” will be directly responsible for cruelty to animals. Animal Aid reckons your donations to help male cancers and mental health will be used to carve up animals in experiments. Personally, I still think it is a lesser evil to grow extra facial fuzz for a month.
2. Have you ever had an eye test? Working on computers as I do, I require one every two years. This time I couldn’t help noticing just how intimate the experience is. Apart from conceiving my children I do not think I have been closer to anyone than I was the very pleasant French person who gazed into my eyes at close range.
3. Avid reader Jil Hall came up with a couple of thoughts she wanted me to mention. First, the cost of greetings cards: “These are printed cards in an envelope; not expensive to produce, and yet they cost a huge amount. Why not produce packs of five identical cards, as they do for Christmas? Most people would happily buy generic cards they could send to several people at a greatly reduced cost.”
4. And secondly from Jil: “When will the taxman do the right thing and abolish VAT on sanitary wear and tampons? These are not luxury items, most women do not have a choice and changes to this most unfair tax are long overdue.” For the record Jil, I agree with you 100 per cent.
5. And finally from me, I have gone on the record supporting a charge for plastic bags. However, if you are prepared to pay for them, then supermarkets should make them available. At the moment many self-service areas simply do not have bags available for you to pay and use. Tesco and Sainsbury’s are the worst offenders.
Finally, finally, I will avoid further debate on the Scotland v Australia game save to say, there is never any excuse for anyone not shaking hands and I have never been prouder of the Scots. Send in your 5THOUGHTS by email to aparkes@ london.newsquest.co.uk Send on Twitter to @parkestheeditor Send through Facebook to facebook.com/ newsshopper