Sutton United returned to the top of the National League with a 3-2 victory over Barrow in front of 1,909 fans at the Knights Community Stadium on Saturday.

Influential skipper Jamie Collins and striker Ross Lafayette returned to the team following injury with the U’s looking to get back to winning ways following the previous weekend’s setback at Woking.

Moses Emmanuel proved a real handful for the Barrow defence all afternoon and he went close to opening the scoring in the early stages when his effort from five yards beat goalkeeper Joel Dixon, but hit the post.

Sutton took the lead through an unlikely source in the 26th minute.

An inswinging free-kick from wide on the right from defender Aswad Thomas evaded everyone to nestle into the far corner of the net to record his first goal for the U’s since his summer transfer from Dover Athletic.

The visitors were handed the chance to get back on level terms in the 39th minute after Kieron Cadogan was adjudged to have brought down Bradley Bauress in the penalty area.

Byron Harrison, stepped up to send United goalkeeper Jamie Butler the wrong way from the spot.

The U’s came out for the second half showing plenty of attacking intent and soon regained the lead.

Josh Taylor, who looked lively whenever he had the ball, made the most of a rebound from Lafayette’s blocked shot in the 49th minute to poke the ball home at the second attempt for his first competitive goal in Sutton's colours.

Just three minutes later it was 3-1. Craig Eastmond made his way to the byline with the ball, drawing two defenders and the goalkeeper out of position, before squaring a pass to Emmanuel who had the simple task of putting the ball into the net from two yards.

But Barrow reduced the arrears in the 62nd minute when Harrison’s fortuitous flick took the ball away from Taylor's toes and Butler's fingertips allowing the former Carshalton Athletic striker to prod the ball home from two yards to set Sutton’s nerves jangling once more.

However, Paul Doswell’s men looked the most dangerous of the sides and came close to increasing their lead on two occasions.

A rasping drive from Taylor brought a fine save from Dixon and a powerful shot through a crowd of players from Eastmond looked destined to increase Sutton’s advantage until Dixon made another great stop.

The league leaders travel to north Wales on Saturday to face fifth-placed Wrexham (kick-off 3pm).