By Paul Agate

Warlingham travelled to the Isle of Thanet for the second successive Saturday, and, for the second consecutive Saturday, they returned with a win.

However, this time it was league points on offer, rather a 19-16 win secured a place in the third round of National RFU Intermediate Cup.

Warlingham made several changes to the side on parade the previous week and it took captain Zac King a good half hour to galvanise his forwards into controlling the set pieces - by which time the home side had scored a try and two penalties to lead by 11 points.

Fly-half Ollie Doe was unfortunate with two early penalty attempts, but Thanet made the early running in extremely heavy playing conditions.

On 30 minutes, the Warlingham pack showed signs of endeavour and began to break through the host's defence.

Lock forwards Mike Fair and Nick Ray provided a solid base from which number eight Tom Skinner could launch telling attacks.

Thanet started to infringe and eventually lost their tight head prop for a cynical foul.

This was all Warlingham needed to get back into the game and they launched several phases of attacks before centre Ben Wimble found space to score under the posts just before half-time with Doe adding the extras.

The third quarter saw Warlingham inject some pace into their game and the forwards began to dominate the set pieces, pushing the Thanet pack off the ball at every opportunity.

Their dominance paid off when Skinner broke from a set scrum and charged upfield.

Good support play ensured quick recycled possession with centre Luke Davies cutting through the final defence lines to score a well-worked try.

Further Warlingham pressure ensured that the bulk of the second period was played in the Thanet half.

Flanker Richard Haywood made several excursions whilst scrum-half Stephen Murtagh provided good linkage to the three-quarters.

From a 5m scrum, Thanet were unable to resist the pressure and as Warlingham pushed their hosts over the try line, desperate defence measures resulted in a penalty try for the visitors. Doe converting.

Thanet came back late in the game scoring an unconverted try at the final whistle but Warlingham progressed.

Next Saturday, Warlingham return to action in the London Division Two South East when Aylesford Bulls travel to Hamsey Green.