A man has been found guilty of murder after a gang brawl in which members wielded axes, machetes and swords.

Prashad Sothalingham, of Edgehill Road in Mitcham, was found guilty of killing Neal Croos during a brutal gang fight in a car park 2015. Nicknamed Bullet, he was one of several young men from the Tamil community charged with the murder of Mr Croos.

Mr Croos, 26, was fatally injured in an attack that involved axes, swords and machetes on November 23 in Holborn Way, Mitcham. A post-mortem examination stated that he died as a result of a head injury from multiple blows with an axe.

Sothalingham, also 26, was also found guilty of grievous bodily harm with intent on another man, Jeyathaapan Ganasliongan. He had denied the charges but the jury found him guilty after deliberating for just over 31 hours.

A previous trial had been unable to find Sothalingham guilty of murder.

The attack took place following escalating tensions within the "Tooting Boys" gang between two factions, the older men and the younger.

The court heard that one faction of the gang, made up of about fourteen older men, were celebrating a friend's birthday in the car park before running to the victim's group in Sibthorpe car park.

In a statement to court Mr Croos' girlfriend said: "Never in my life did I expect to have someone who meant so much to me murdered and taken away."

Four other men – Jeyathpan Ganeslingham, Mahinda Mahndaskaran, Mayuran Gunaretnam and Hassan Rahman - were also injured. Mr Mahndaskaran needed fingers reattached, after protecting his head from an axe blow with his hands.

Weapons used in the assault, which may also have included glass bottles, metal bars and socks with snooker balls, were never recovered.

Three other men were also convicted during the complicated trial, the second to find charges against some of the attackers.

Sugan Selvarajan, 33, from Rotherham, was found guilty of one count of grievous bodily harm with intent on Rajendren Mahindaskaran and one count of violent disorder. He was found not guilty of murder.

Sivakaran Ockersz, 19, of Heathdene Road, was found guilty of violent disorder. He had previously been found not guilty of murder and four counts of attempted murder at a previous trial in August 2016.

Visuparathan Dayaparan 24, of Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham, was found guilty of violent disorder. He was previously found not guilty of murder and four counts of attempted murder at the trial in August, 2016.

Detective Inspector Louise Knipe of the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: "This was horrific attack on a young man and his friends by a group of men who had no hesitation in using an extreme level of violence. It left one man dead in truly horrific circumstances and others with significant injuries.

"These men are extremely dangerous and the choice of the weapons they used displayed what lengths they were prepared to go to in order to prove their credentials against a rival faction of the same gang. They will now face lengthy prison sentences as a result."

"This has been a long an protracted enquiry where the murder investigation team would like to thank the victims and witnesses who gave evidence at both trials."