Two people escaped unharmed from a fire at a home in Pollards Hill this morning.

Firefighters were called to Wide Way at 3.30am, to reports of a roof well alight at a residential property.

Two fire engines from Norbury and another from Mitcham tackled the blaze, which is believed to have been caused by a faulty electrical board.

Two people who were inside the home when the fire broke out escaped unharmed.

The fire was extinguished shortly before 6am.

A spokesman from Norbury fire station said the roof was almost "90 to 100 per cent" damaged in the blaze.