Russian prostitute who kicked and stamped pensioner to death sentenced to three years in prison (From Your Local Guardian)
Russian prostitute who kicked and stamped Ewell pensioner to death sentenced to three years in prison
A Russian prostitute who stamped and kicked a pensioner to death has been sentenced to just three years behind bars.
Natalia Woolley, 38, of Baron’s Court Road in West Kensington, was tried for the murder of 69-year-old Winston Fernandez, whose decomposing body was found at his home in Longdown Lane North, Ewell, on February 13.
Woolley broke 17 of his ribs during the attack on January 16 and then cut his telephone lines before leaving.
The retired accountant went on to die alone and without medical help as a result of massive internal injuries.
But after less than three hours this afternoon, a jury of six men and six women decided they could not find her guilty of murder.
Instead they unanimously found the blonde escort guilty of the lesser offence of manslaughter by reason of unlawful act - when a person unlawfully kills another without the intention to kill.
Judge Christopher Critchlow sentenced Woolley to three years imprisonment - of which she has already served 193 days on remand.
Mr Fernandez had been using escort agencies in the months leading up to his death and had met Woolley for sex on a number of previous occasions.
The prostitute, who followed the trial through a translator, was arrested on April 2 and admitted she had been to Mr Fernandez's address on January 16.
She said she been involved in a physical altercation and told the court she was acting in self defence and was not sure whether he was still alive when she left the house. She said she cut the phone cords to stop Mr Fernandez from calling her again.
The court also heard how Woolley, who has a daughter in Russia, returned to the address in Ewell on January 22, and told friends she had a problem with a client - including one conversation in which she said "I think I’ve killed somebody".
Following the verdict, Detective Chief Inspector Chris Raymer, of Surrey and Sussex major crime team, said Mr Fernandez had been the victim of a "brutal attack" in his own home.
He said: "It was a number of weeks until his body was found and during this period Woolley made no attempt to contact the police or seek medical help for Mr Fernandez.
"Instead, she tried to cover her tracks by deleting messages and changing her phone number.
"However, thanks to the hard work and dedication of the investigation team who carried out extensive enquiries to build up a picture of Mr Fernandez's lifestyle, Woolley was identified and has now been convicted."
Nigel Knight, senior district crown prosecutor for CPS South East, added: "During the trial the prosecution case highlighted how the defendant left Mr Fernandez, a vulnerable individual, for dead, having subjected him to severe injuries in a sustained attack.
"Today, the jury has found Natalia Woolley guilty of manslaughter, a conviction that brings some sense of justice following such a heartless crime."
Mr Fernandez’s sons, Paul and Keith, said they "are grateful that justice has been done".
They said: "We would like to thank family and friends for their support since the news of our father's death.
"We would also like to thank the investigation team of Surrey and Sussex Police and the Crown Prosecution Service for all their effort and hard work in bringing about this case."