Three men convicted after the shooting of a five-year-old girl as she played in her uncle's shop have been jailed for a total of 45 years.

Anthony McCalla, 20, from Streatham, and his accomplices Nathaniel Grant, 21, and Kazeem Kolawole, 19, were convicted of causing grievous bodily harm to little Thusha Kamaleswaren, who was left paralysed from the waist down after the shooting in March last year.

Grant, the gunman, was given a prison sentence of 17 years, whilst both McCalla and Kolawole were jailed for 14 years.

The trio were also convicted of the attempted murder of a rival gang member Shaun Bryan - who they had been trying to shoot - and for causing grievous bodily harm to 35-year-old Roshan Selvakumar, who was shot in the face.

The three, all members of the Brixton based GAS gang, fired three bullets into the Stockwell Food and Wine shop in March last year.

Judge Martin Stephens QC, sentencing, said: "[The incident] can be denounced as an attack on society itself from men who simply saw themselves as above the law."

McCalla, of Oakdale Road, Grant, of Camberwell New Road, and Kolawole, of Black Prince Road, also denied attempted murder, wounding with intent and possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life but were convicted of all charges.

Detective Superintendent Gordon Allison, Trident, said: "The images of Thusha dancing happily in the Stockwell Food and Wine are images that many of us will struggle to erase from our memories.

"Today, McCalla, Kolawole and Grant will have many years in prison to reflect on the damage they caused to an innocent five year old girl and her family but also Roshan and the community that is London as a whole.

"In February the MPS launched the Trident Gang Command and with this there has been a change in how we tackle gang crime in London.

"There are now a thousand dedicated officers working on a new approach to tackling gang violence in London and since over 500 arrests have been made.

"We need to the help of London's communities - it is only with their support that we the police can bring offenders to justice and protect people.

"I would like to pay tribute to the professionalism of the police officers who worked tirelessly and with the utmost professionalism to piece together all the evidence needed to bring this case to the Crown Prosecution Service, under what was undoubtedly difficult and at times distressing circumstances.

"I am also immensely proud that they have already managed to raise over £130,000 for Thusha and would like to thank members of the public to helped them to achieve this and everybody who has been kind enough to publicise the Three Peaks Challenge they will be taking on in September to raise even more for Thusha."