A whole house was smoke-logged after a kitchen fire in Coulsdon last night.

Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus to enter the house in Ridgemount Avenue, while crews from Banstead, Purley and Croydon fire stations used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

Firefighters then ventilated the house.

A middle-aged couple were able to escape the house before the crews were called at 7.13pm, and were said to be fine by a spokesman from Banstead fire station.

“They’re fine, but in a bit of shock,” the spokesman added.

The cause of the fire is said to be accidental.