A takeaway pizza restaurant will be closed today after a small fire earlier this morning.

Staff members at Pizza GoGo confirmed the restaurant would be open tomorrow after the “small fire” – which firefighters believe may have been caused by a faulty freezer – took hold at the takeaway in Kingston Road, Ewell.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the smoke-filled restaurant after being called at about 5.43am.

Firefighters from Epsom, Esher and Banstead fire stations used a thermal imaging camera to navigate their way through the smoke, before using a jet and a hose reel to put out the fire.

Pizza GoGo will be closed today (Monday, June 19) while the restaurant is cleaned up, a staff member said.