A squirrel set fire to an electrical substation yesterday.
The squirrel was electrocuted by a 33,000-volt shock when it jumped on the substation in Springfield Drive, Leatherhead, at about 10.30am.
The electrical short circuit set fire to leaves underneath the substation at international engineering and construction company KBR.
Firefighters from Leatherhead fire station were called in to battle the fire.
Watch commander Steve Smith, who attended the fire, said the electrical current fried the squirrel’s "brains out" and leaves caught fire.
Mr Smith said that they used a dry powder extinguisher to put out the fire while an electricity company cut off the power supply.
He said: "The dead squirrel was up there and there was a big hole in the copper pipe where the electricity had arced across."