Firefighters have warned residents to check their fire alarms after a family had to evacuate their house this morning following a freezer fire.
Two fire engines from Norbury went to Georgia Road at 4.50am today after a fire broke out in a utility room on the ground floor, believed to be caused by a freezer overheating.
Three people escaped from the house after one of them smelt the smoke from the fire.
Their fire alarm did not go off because it had a dead battery.
No one was injured and Norbury Crew Manager Mike Thomas said the fire was extinguished in a few minutes with the house sustaining some smoke damage.
He said: “No one was hurt and we were able to put the fire out quickly but this shows the importance of making sure you check your fire alarm batteries at least once a week.
“If they had not woken up and smelt the smoke then of course this could have been potentially much worse.”
To find out more about fire safety go to london-fire.gov.uk.
- WATCH: Girl, 8, takes on Tesco over 'sexist' kids' clothing - do you agree with her?
- Don't call us hormonal, drama queens or bitchy: Top 20 words women would ban
- 10 tips to protect your home as Met Police launches crackdown on burglars ahead of winter months
- Billions of fleas with massive penises will be invading bedrooms
- Labour leadership contest: Jeremy Corbyn and Owen Smith's campaigns enter final hours