A specialist contractor is to start work restoring the borough's war memorials this month ahead of the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War later this year.
Sutton Council has commissioned work to renovate the memorials in Honeywood Walk in Carshalton, Wallington Green, Malden Road in Cheam, Manor Park in Sutton, St Philip's Church in Worcester Park and the Belmont War memorial in Queens Road.
The work will be completed by mid-June in time for a programme of events to mark 100 years since the outbreak of the First World War.
Cheam war memorial
Councillor Jill Whitehead said: "This year marks the centenary of the start of the First World War and will be a time for the whole nation to reflect upon the events that saw so many young people of that generation make the ultimate sacrifice.
"It is absolutely right that we ensure that our local war memorials are a fitting tribute to the fallen."
Sutton war memorial
- Croydon girl has starring role in Royal Institution Christmas lectures
- The Apprentice final showdown with Croydon's Bianca Miller hoping for £250,000 tights investment
- Elderly man hit by car in Caterham
- Crystal Palace FC urged to 'think again' over charging children to be mascots
- Free: Get news alerts sent direct to your phone via Whatsapp