A man was shot in the hallway of his home trying to protect his wife and stepson from masked gunmen, a court heard.

Carlton Ned was fatally shot at his home in Langdale Road, Thornton Heath, in the early hours of July 1, 2011.

The 41-year-old had been protecting his wife Donna Michael and stepson Karl Wilson, in the family home in what the prosecutor described as a "mid-summers night nightmare."

This morning the Old Bailey heard as Mr Wilson, a rapper by the name of Konan, returned home from a party at about 2.40am, two men armed with guns forced their way in through the front door as he closed it.

Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC, said: "Karl Wilson immediately ran up the stairs and into his mothers bedroom shutting the door behind him, shouting 'lock the door, lock the door'.

"The gunman followed Mr Wilson up the stairs and repeatedly kicked the door.

"With Mr Wilson trying to hold the door, Carlton Ned called out 'What the f*** is going on? Who are you?' but there was no reply."

The court heard Mr Wilson hid in the corner of the bedroom after realising he was the intended target and called police.

A bedside cabinet and chest of drawers were put against the door, but made little difference jurors were told.

When the hinges started to give way Mrs Michael saw a gun pointing through the gap between the door and the door frame.

Mr Aylett said: "There was a flash and she felt something skimming past her. She felt pain in her left breast and screamed 'I have been shot'.

"She saw the gunman fiddling with the gun as if he was going to fire more shots. She screamed 'please don't kill me' and the gunman pulled back from the door."

Jurors heard Mr Ned ran out the room and down the stairs before shots were fired and groaning was heard.

Mrs Michael left the bedroom and saw Mr Ned in a ball on the floor. She saw a second man heading towards the kitchen and shouted for Karl.

The second gunman ran back towards Mrs Michael shouting 'Where's Karl, Where's Karl?' before he fled the property.

The court heard Mrs Michael ran out the house and saw the second gunman jumping into a car. She noted down what she could remember of the number plate, but the vehicle was never found.

Jurors were told in the aftermath of the shooting Mr Wilson called a friend who was at the party he had just left and asked him to collect him from the house.

Mr Aylett said: "When Mr Wilson saw the car pull up he put on a hooded top and ran out in to the street.

"He saw his stepfather lying at the bottom of the stairs. Donna Michael asked him where he was going but he didn't answer."

After speaking to friends at the party, Mr Wilson was convinced to return home and was dropped back at the property where he made himself known to police the court heard.

Three weeks after the incident Christopher Thomas of Morrison House, Tulse Hill, was arrested in Brockwell Park on July 23, 2011.

The court heard his behaviour caught an officer's eye and, when approached, he was seen to discard something and run off.

After catching and arresting Mr Thomas, officers conducted a search of the area and discovered a gun wrapped in a sock.

When the gun was examined by firearm experts it was found to have been used in the shooting of Mr Ned three weeks earlier.

Police and London Ambulance were called to the address but Mr Ned died at the scene from a single gun wound to the chest at 3.35am.

Mrs Michael was also treated for the wound to her chest and has since made a full recovery.

The court heard Mr Thomas and Mr Wilson were known to each other as their girlfriends were best friends.

Mr Thomas, 22, denies six charges including murder, attempted murder, wounding with intent and possession of a firearm.

The case continues.