Carshalton and Wallington (House of Commons)
Rt Hon. Thomas Brake MP (Liberal Democrat)
Surgery: Kennedy House
5 Nightingale Road
Surgery Tel: 020 8255 8155
MP Since - 1997 Majority - 5,260 Born - 06/05/1962. Married, 1 son & 1 daughter.
Education - Lycee International, France, Imperial College London (Physics).
Previous Occupation - Computer Software Consultant (Cap Gemini).
Personal Overview - From an Information Technology background, he has quickly busied himself since entering Parliament. He in particular seems to have interests in Environmental issues, and was initially made a junior Liberal Democrat Spokesman. In Parliamentary terms his most vocal activity has been rail-linked, representing his substantial, and long suffering, commuter population in their daily battle against a poor service. Has held several shadow ministerial portfolios, but with the reduced number of Liberal Democrat Government seats available he had to wait until the 2012 reshuffle for an opportunity to gain a Government role.
Political History - Councillor Hackney (1988-90), Sutton (1994-98). MP Carshalton & Wallington (1997-). Former Joint Chairman of the Renewable & Sustainable Energy All Party Group. Vice Chairman of the Future Housing & Planning all Party Group. Vice Chairman of the Waterways Group (2001-). Treasurer of the Sustainable Waste All Party Group and Joint Secretary of the Franco-British All Party Group, member of the All Party Human Rights Group. Member Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs Select Committee (1997-2001) and Environment Sub-Committee. Member of the Accommodation & Works Select Committee (2001-03), Transport Select Committee (2002-03). Member of the Home Affairs Select Committee (2008-10). Environment & Transport Spokesman (Junior Environment) (1997-2001). Liberal Democrat Whip (2000-04). Transport, Local Government & the Regions Spokesman (2001-02), Shadow Minister for Transport (2001-03) (also responsible for London), Shadow Secretary of State for International Development (2003-05). Shadow Transport Secretary (2005-06). Shadow Minister for Communities and Local Government (2006-07). Shadow Minister for London and the Olympics (2007-10), Shadow Minister for Home Affairs (2007-10). Liberal Democrat Spokesman on London (2010-). Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (2012-).
Characteristics - Appears to have Environment linked interests, has been a member of Greenpeace and Amnesty International as well as having an interest in human rights issues. Complains regularly about the state of British rail services and road congestion.
Business Tel: 020 7219 0924
Rt Hon. Thomas Brake MP (Liberal Democrat) on Twitter
Your Local Guardian has no responsibility or control over the content on external blogging sites, but you can contact us if you have a complaint.
Interests: Environment,Housing,Energy,Transport,Renewable Energy
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group against Antisemitism (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Arms Length Management Organisations (ALMOs) (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Friends of the Baha'is Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Coeliac Disease and Dermatitis Herpetiformis (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Crossrail Group (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Cycling Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Deafness (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Democracy in Bahrain (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Drug Policy Reform (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dyslexia and Specific Learning Difficulties (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Family Law and the Court of Protection (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Human Rights Group (Treasurer)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Islamophobia (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Light Rail Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Migration (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on New Media (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Peak Oil and Gas (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Penal Affairs Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Rail Group (Member)
- Road Passenger Transport Group (Associate Group) (Member)
- Thameslink Route Group (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Third World Solidarity (Member)
- Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Depleted Uranium (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Women in the Penal System (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Women's Sport and Fitness (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for World Governance (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on France (Treasurer)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Poland (Member)
Croydon and Sutton (Greater London Authority)
Mr Steve O'Connell AM (Conservative)
GLA Member Since - 2008 Majority - 9,418 Born - 1956. Married, 2 sons.
Education - Brockley County Grammar School.
Previous Occupation - Worked for Barclays Bank for 28 years. Also worked for HSBC and Natwest Banks. Qualified IFA and Mortgage Broker. Former Bank Manager for high worth clients, his last appointment being in the Sutton and Wallington area.
Personal Overview - Retained the Croydon seat for the Conservatives, formally held by Andrew Pelling. Politically his interests include planning issues and protecting the Green Belt, having gained experience through his membership of the Planning Committee at Local Authority level. Locally he has prioritised personal safety and anti social behaviour and the effects that they have on people's quality of life. He is also a strong advocate of the Grammar school system.
Political History - Councillor, Croydon (2002-), Joint Deputy Council Leader (2006-08), has been Cabinet Member for Safety and Cohesion. GLA Member Croydon & Sutton (2008-). Member of the Budget and Performance Committee (2008-09), member of the Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee (2008-09), member of the Environment Committee (2008-), member of the Planning and Housing Committee (2008-), member of the Metropolitan Police Authority (2008-). Member of the Transport Committee (2009-). Member of the Police and Crime Committee (2011-).
Other Information - Owns three dogs, 2 Jack Russells, 1 Weimeranar Cross and a one eyed Tom Cat.
All Party Groups - N/a.
Business Tel: 020 7983 4353
Interests: Business & Finance,Law & Order,Education & Training,Planning Issues,Local Government
- Environment Committee (Member)
- Planning and Housing Committee (Member)
- Transport Committee (Member)
London (European Parliament)
Ms Marina Yannakoudakis MEP (Conservative)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 16/04/1956. Married, 3 children.
Education - Brunel University, BSC in Government, Politics and Modern History. Open University, MA in Education.
Previous Occupation - Financial Director of a family business (pan-European).
Personal Overview - Elected to the European Parliament from third place on the London Conservative Party list. Has been involved running a small business for over 23 years with experience negotiating in in Europe on behalf of her UK clients. She has campaigned to reduce regulation on business, reducing EU waste and fraud and on the sensible managing of migration. She also has experience raising funds for charity, as a former Chair of the Mayor of Barnet's Charity Appeal 2005/06 raising money for the mental health charity MIND.
Political History - Councillor, London Borough of Barnet. Has been Deputy Chairman of Chipping Barnet Conservative Association. MEP London Region (2009-). Membe rof the Delegation to the EU-Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Joint Parliamentary Committee (2009-). Substitute member of the Delegation for relations with Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo (2009-). Member of the Women's Rights and Gender Equality Committee (2009-). Member of the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee (2009-).
Other Information - School Governor. She was a Chairman of the Federation of Conservative Students at Brunel University and Chairperson for Communications on it's Student Union Executive. In her spare time she plays the saxophone and produces her own sculptures which she donates to charity.
Intergroups - N/a.
Interests: Small Business,Business & Finance,Local Government
- Environment, Public Health & Food Safety (Member)
- Women's Rights & Gender Equality (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to email@example.com